—Ask Mary Poppins?…just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down…
Well that’s probably not your best option. Here are some helpful hints for easier swallowing of medications.
- Before placing pill in mouth take a deep breath and exhale very slowly. This will help you relax and prevent gagging.
- Drink a small sip of water to moisten your mouth. This keeps pill from sticking in your mouth.
- Place pill far back of mouth and take a small sip of water to wash it down.
- Don’t throw your head back when swallowing. Instead tilt you chin forwardtoward your chest.
- Drink from a container with a small, narrow opening. Close lips around opening, then suck liquid.
- As a last resort put pill in a spoonful of applesauce, Jello or peanut butter to swallow, then drink some water.
~Scientific American Health after 50